Welcome to the North Central Regional Transit District
A Message from Executive Director, Anthony J. Mortillaro
A Message to the Region from Anthony J. Mortillaro, Executive Director
Welcome to the North Central Regional Transit District (RTD) website. We hope that you find the site informative and user friendly. The RTD and the services we are able to provide are very important to me. I have been involved with the RTD since its inception in late August 2004 as a member of the Board and I am now proud to serve as its Executive Director. Reliable, convenient and safe transportation that provides interconnectivity between the communities we serve for educational, work, medical, social and mobility opportunities is the core of what we do in serving the 237,000 residents in our four-county service region.
During Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 the NCRTD continued to experience success as it completed its sixth year of service. This year we reached a new milestone in respect to an all-time high in ridership with 193,027 riders for the year. This represents a 3.9 percent increase which was more than double the 2012 national average for increased riders on public transportation. The increase in ridership continues to reinforce that regional and rural public transportation is an important and crucial need in north central New Mexico.
Following is a short list of our FY 2013 accomplishments and more specific detail on these and many other accomplishments are contained inside our annual report which is available on this website:
- The District received the 2012 New Mexico Job Access and Reverse Commute Transit System of the Year award from the New Mexico Department of Transportation;
- Completed the reconstruction of the District’s new headquarters under the amended budget by 8.39% ($199,521);
- Continued fleet replacement with modern and economical vehicles that have enhanced security features;
- Added enhancements to seven existing routes;
- Commenced the update of the 2008 service plan and held 16 public meetings to obtain constituent input;
- Contracted for development and implementation of an Intelligent Transportation System hardware and software;
- Awarded the development of a schematic design and cost estimate for a maintenance facility;
- Obtained Board authorization to commence the evaluation of conversion of the fleet to alternative fuels.
For the upcoming year the District is anticipating implementation of its transit demand scheduling, routing, and ride planning applications and software. In addition, further fleet replacements are anticipated along with additional bus shelters, signage, and trash receptacles. Lastly, the results of the existing service analysis which is anticipated to provide improved routes and service will be reviewed and implemented as adopted by the Board.
The District’s accomplishments over the past year are reflective of the firm commitment to provide the highest quality services to our constituents, to operate in a transparent manner, and a commitment to ongoing collaboration with our riders, member entities and elected officials as a means for establishing the foundation for future success.
The accomplishments and services enumerated above are carried out daily by many thoughtful team members whose expertise and commitment make the RTD the first class transit agency it is today.
Thank you to our Board of Directors as well, for their continued support, and for their forward thinking approach that not only addresses the challenges we face today, but prepares us for the future. I am honored to be one of the many team members contributing to our accomplishments.
We encourage you to tell others about our free service! Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to serve you.
Enjoy the free ride!